Mirai Nikki / Future Diaries



Title: Mirai Nikki / Future Diaries
Episodes: 26 (complete)
Released: Oct 9, 2011
Genre: Fantasy, Action, Drama, Highschool, Thriller



So this is one anime I use to show people how good the entire anime genre can be. I don't say this lightly. There are a handful of anime that have really stood out in my time and few have made me love, and hate the same people as often as Mirai Nikki did. If I had to sum it up, it'd be an underrated masterpiece. The sadistic story, the sudden plot twists and the expendable characters all make for an addictive watch. You won't need to force yourself to watch a few episodes to get into the swing of it.



The plot revolves around a young boy called Yuki, who is by all means, average. Until one day, his diary in his phone, starts generating entries ahead of time. Before long, the viewer is introduced to other diary owners, who all are getting future diary entries. The plot comes thick and fast as the entire thing devolves into alternating between an intriguing story and a bloody battle royal. Fans of fast paced action will feel right at home, and you'll be stuck guessing right up until the end how it all goes down.



While the story is amazing, and the action incredible, there is one place I found mildly lacklustre. Mirai Nikki's ending leans heavily to the paranormal towards the end. This intensely satisfying depiction of a battle between ugly humans in an imperfect world is derailed by the ending being, for me, a little too magical. While the unexplained definitely has a place, I feel the show used it as a crutch to carry it towards what could have been a mindblowing ending. Still though, 9/10 for me.